Retro

Green Doors

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Serious Yum on a Saturday

So, what do you do if you have buttermilk about to go bad in your fridge? No idea.

"Maybe there's a scone recipe that uses buttermilk." I say to myself inside my head. A quick search on the computer and a trusty Food Network recipe pops up. Well, it's basic enough and I have all the ingredients, but Kenny was raving about a Starbucks blueberry scone yesterday, so I'd like to see if I can make something that meets that craving with a cheaper price tag!

Blueberry Scones with Lemon Glaze
Adapted from Food Network's Buttermilk Scones

Ingredients

  • 3 cups flour(I used 2 1/4 cups white flour and 3/4 cup whole wheat flour)
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter(I used I Can't Believe It's Not Butter)
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • hand full of frozen blueberries (optional - could use craisins, raisins, dried fruit)
  • 1 tablespoon heavy cream, for brushing (I used nonfat milk so mine didn't look shiny)

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl (I used my food processor with blade and pulsed a few times). Add butter and mix with your fingertips to a coarse meal (Added the butter to food processor and pulsed until course meal - So fast this way and saves your wrists from carpal-tunnel syndrome). Dump contents into large bowl. Add buttermilk and mix just until combined. Add currants, if desired.(I added a hand full or so of frozen blueberries. Make sure they are the kind that have been individually flash frozen or you'll have a mushy soupy mess on your hands. Keeping them frozen keeps your dough from turning blue. You could use fresh too.) The dough will be VERY sticky.

Transfer dough to a floured board and divide into 2 parts. Roll each to 3/4 inch thick rounds. (I didn't roll. I HATE ROLLING! It scares me! I just formed them into a big round flat disk. You could also drop them from an ice cream scoop.) Cut each round into 8 wedges and place slightly separated on a greased baking sheet. (I used a sheet of parchment instead of grease.) Brush the tops with the cream, and bake for 15 minutes, or until lightly browned.

Lemon Glaze

3/4 heaping cup of powdered sugar
1 tsp or so lemon zest (I used dried lemon zest cuz that's what i had)
1/2 tsp vanilla
Lemon juice

Combine the ingredients and whisk until a thick glaze if formed. Start with a small amount of juice because you can always add more gradually. I like mine to drizzle slowly off the whisk, so lift your whisk occasionally to see if it drizzles. When it's to you liking, you're done. Drizzle or pour it over your warm scones and EAT THEM IMMEDIATELY!

Finished Product
So, I'm no scone expert! In fact, a month ago I would have told you, "I hate scones!" Most scones I've eaten have been dry and crumbly and suck all the moisture out of your mouth the minute you bite into them. All this changes for me when my 15 year old brother-in-law, Jake, make us some scones one night. They were YUMMY - soft, light, moist. Thank you, Home Ec Teacher at Timbercrest!

Anyway, I decided to give scones a second chance. This recipe was really good. The scones were moist and soft and the blueberries were warm. Perfectly sweet, but not too sweet so you could add glaze to them without going into a coma.

Kenny's final thoughts were that I needed to hide them or he would eat them all in the morning while we were sleeping! Not bad for a half hour of work on a Saturday. :)

Make some scones, change the recipe and let me know how they turned out. Next time I may try chocolate chips with an espresso glaze

No comments:

Post a Comment