Retro

Green Doors

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Brownie Fail!

Aubrey and I enjoyed a delicious brownie after our lunch today. There was one more left and Aubrey asked if she could have it. I told her it was for Daddy so she could NOT have it.

I walk away and pick up my laptop to respond to an email. A few minutes go by and I notice Aubrey is not at the table. I call her name and discover she was behind the counter in the kitchen "hiding." She reluctantly comes out and I ask her to come to me. Her mouth is full of brownie and I'm shocked that it took her so long to finish her brownie since I devoured mine in minutes.

I ask her directly, "Why were you in the kitchen? What were you doing?" She can't answer because her mouth is crazy full of squishy brownie. "Did you eat Daddy's brownie?" At this question her eyes get big and she shakes her head "no" with confidence. I asked her again calling it the "extra brownie on the counter in the kitchen" in case she forgot it was for Daddy. Again, a solid "no" head shake with sincere eyes and total confidence. SO, I believe her and let it go.

About 5 minutes later, I go into the kitchen and see the brownie is missing and the plastic wrap is open on the counter! DANG! She lied to me AND hid to scarf a brownie AND stole from her Dad! I'm crushed by her choices and actions and feeling like I completely failed as a parent!

Big time discipline is coming her way preceded by a big time talk and followed by more big time talking and hugging! I'm a bit dumbfounded by it all. This is the 3rd case in the last couple months of "food sneaking" actually "sweets food sneaking" to be exact. I don't want her to have food issues or anything but it seems like they are already in her sin nature!

Aubrey's sin is clear, but am I missing an area of sin in my own parenting that has allowed these sins to take root in her? Have I failed to teach her moderation and self-control because we've avoided sweets altogether? Have I been so rigid or controlling that she feels she must lie to me in order to have any freedom? It makes me pause. I'm not asking myself these things in an effort to dismiss her behavior. I just want to be sure that I'm dealing with my sin too. I'm not without sin and need to keep "short accounts of sin" as I parent too.

Even as I write this I am convicted of my own sin! The Lord knows I have terrible self-control when it comes to certain things and particularly lately! I hate to see that sin in my kids but, the Lord has used that to convict my own heart and for that I am glad! Am I not just like Aubrey when I sneak an extra brownie late at night when I think no one is watching? My Heavenly Father is always watching me, even when I hide and lie to myself and Him about it "not being a big deal." It IS a big deal! My gluttony is rebellious sin that I am convinced will make me feel good in the moment. In the moment it feels "worth it," but it is a decision that leads to death - death of my relationship with my Father who loves me more than I can wrap my head around! He feels crushed by my sin because I chose a "brownie" over Him.

Thankfully, we don't stay in a pit of despair and failure. Aubrey and I have been forgiven, kissed, hugged and restored! It's cause for rejoicing. Confession and repentance are cause for celebration and rejoicing because it restores our relationship with our Father and brings us freedom to walk with Him!

Hallelujah, let's celebrate with a brownie....oh wait! :)

2 comments:

  1. that is SUCH a cute story. hahaha you are such an awesome mom angie!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for getting the margins fixed. This should be a devotion in a devotion book. I've struggled with food all my life, sneaking it, hiding it, feeling guilty about it....you've said very clearly how it truly is a sin and why. Good luck helping Aubrey to understand moderation and self-control. They really are hard to get a handle on but necessary in our walk with Christ.

    ReplyDelete