Retro

Green Doors

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Crushed Ice - A Simple Pleasure

Aubrey has discovered the joy of crushed ice! I clearly remember discovering this joy myself. I was a kid and our neighbors (we called them Grandma and Grandpa cuz they were old and nice to us) got a new fridge with a crushed ice feature ON THE DOOR! This was innovative back then, no one had them. Anyway, I used to go over there and say something like, "Man, I sure am thirsty." Grandma would always ask me if i wanted a drink. "OF COURSE, with crushed ice, please!" Now Aubrey can reach our ice button on the door of our frig and she is obsessed with getting ice to crunch after drinking some water. ...Who am I kidding, she's just fishing out the ice!

She came out of her room yesterday to get a drink and a crunch of ice. She grabbed her cup and said, "Hey! What happened to my ice!?!" Kenny and I looked at eat other and started laughing. She was a little annoyed that we didn't answer or fess up to stealing her ice. Finally I said, "It melted, Honey." She looks at her cup all shocked and says, "What's melted mean?" Ahh, a science lesson on phases of matter, the former teacher in me loves it!

Do you have any simple pleasures? Do you remember the first person to get a fancy new refrigerator with water and ice on the door?

2 comments:

  1. The first water/ice combo on a fridge I remeber was Grandma and Grandpa Williams old house in Orange.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE crushed ice! Zaxby's has the best! I was 12 when we got our first fridge with an ice/water combo.I remember thinking we had arrived! I still love to choose crushed ice to add a little extra happy in my day!

    ReplyDelete