Retro

Green Doors

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Baby Jesus Rolls


I know, I know. Sounds cheesy, but it's just another way that I'm trying to help Aubrey remember the story of Jesus' birth. Our Baby Jesus Rolls were basically Crescent Roll Pigs in a Blanket made with Turkey Lit'l Smokies. (I can't wait to make Resurrection Rolls at Easter)!

We called the dough "swaddling cloths" and the Smokies were our little baby Jesus. Aubrey kept saying, "Hurry, He's freezing. We need to wrap Him up." I think she gets the idea! Mary had a new little baby and he needed to be warm and swaddled.

Having had a baby boy not so long ago, it blows my mind to think about how Mary must have felt. A new, first-time mom to the King of Kings, her Savior, the long anticipated Messiah! She swaddled a miraculous bundle of expectation. I wonder if she ever lost it while trying to navigate her new role as a mom or was it easier to remain patient and gentle because He was the God of the Universe? I wonder if she obsessed about doing everything the right way or the best way because she was raising the Prince of Peace. I think about how thrilling it is to see my son look into my eyes and smile that reckless abandon smile of his and I think it must have felt even more indescribable for Mary to see that same smile from her Savior!

How would my relationship with the Lord be different if I thought about His love for me like the way Hudson "loves" me? Minus the normal baby needs stuff, Hudson always smiles at me like I'm the greatest experience of his life. I realize that I need to think about the Lord's love for me this way. Instead of thinking of His love like one of those old scales where the 2 sides go up and down depending on which side has more, I need to picture His love for me every time I see Hudson smile!

1 comment:

  1. As she was eating them, Aubrey kept asking where Mary and Joseph were. Pretty cute.

    ReplyDelete